Historical information & milestones
The need to construct a motorway that would constitute the regional ring road of Athens had emerged as early as the 1960s. The main objectives at that time were to facilitate traffic circulation in the road network of the Attica basin and to mitigate the environmental problems caused by traffic in the area.
At first, the project was named "Elefsina - Stavros Motorway", but, in the 1980s, when the "Eleftherios Venizelos" Airport was planned to be located at Spata, the then planned motorway was renamed into Elefsina - Stavros - Spata A/P motorway (ESSM). Later, in the 1990s, the Imittos Western Peripheral Motorway (IWPM) was also integrated in the design for the ring road.
By the consolidation of the two aforementioned motorways, a unified project, named "Attiki Odos", was created.
The size and the particularities of construction, as well as the fact that Attica Tollway would pass through residential districts and areas of great historical significance, made implementation of the project a complex exercise. Nevertheless, in the mid-1990s, the blueprints took the form of a fully comprehensive design and the project could now enter the implementation phase.
While Attica Tollway was under construction, the Public Authorities responsible ascertained the need to execute additional new works. These projects were not directly related to the Attica Tollway's operation, but the Greek Government deemed that their execution in parallel to its construction was necessary for reasons of both easier implementation and economy.
Such projects were:
- Sections of the suburban railway and the subway (METRO) networks, so that they would become operational before the Olympic Games.
- The construction of tunnels in Imittos, following the decisions of the Council of State, and the construction of the "Cut and Cover" sections in the Municipalities of Zefiri, Acharnes, Metamorfosi, Iraklio, Chalandri and Vrilissia, following appeals lodged by the residents before the European Union bodies.
- The various flood protection projects constructed from Mesogeia to Elefsina that have secured the whole Attica Prefecture against floods.
- Arrangements and enlargements at the points of access and entrance to the Attica Tollway.
- 28/02/1995Submission of Tenders
- 26/03/1996Project award to the "Attiki Odos" Consortium as contractor.
- 23/05/1996Signing of Concession Agreement - Commencement of preliminary works
- 23/07/1996Approval of a loan of GRD 220 bn. from the European Investment Bank
- 16/12/1996Statutory ratification of the Concession Agreement by Law 2445/96
- 31/08/1997Commencement of works execution at the Imittos Peripheral Motorway section
- 19/09/1997Commencement of execution of works for the "Pallini - Spata" section
- 18/12/1997Signing of the primary loan agreement with the European Investment Bank
- 01/10/1998Commencement of execution of works for the sections from Elefsina to Pallini
- 06/03/2000Financial conclusion of the loan. Payment of first loan installment.
- 04/08/2000Administrative Acceptance of Gerakas - Pallini and Pallini - Spata A/P sections for use
- 28/02/2001Inauguration of the "Gerakas - Spata A/P" section of the Attica Tollway
- 18/03/2001Commencement of operation of "Gerakas - Spata" and "Kimis Avenue - Metamorfosi" sections without tolls
- 19/03/2001Application of toll payment system
- 25/04/2001Delivery of the Imittos Peripheral Motorway section from the Glyka Nera junction to Leontari junction.
- 15/05/2002Full operation of the Spata Airport junction
- 25/05/2002Full operation of the "Gerakas - Spata" section
- 25/05/2002Delivery of Paiania and Kantza junctions and toll stations
- 31/01/2003Operation of automated toll systems
- 03/09/2003Delivery of "Kimis Ave. - Gerakas" section. Delivery of Imittos Peripheral motorway.
- 30/11/2003Delivery of the "Elefsina - Metamorfosi" section
- 24/06/2004Delivery of Imittos Peripheral motorway's western branch Full operation of the Doukissis Plakentias junction and full operation of the Attica Tollway